Employee termination is always undesired for both the employer and the employee. Unlike what some may think, employers don’t fire anybody for “just because”; instead, they have fair and specific reasons behind their action. Let’s have a look at 3 key factors responsible for employee terminations.
1. Inability to perform: You can be terminated because of your inability to perform your job properly or when you’re unable to reach the desired standards after several chances were given. For instance:
- You’re unable to cope with the work environment
- You’re unable to keep up with the changes in your job
2. Conduct: This is one of the most common reasons behind employee terminations. It normally indicates that you’ve broken the terms and conditions of your employment. For instance, the following would be just grounds for termination:
b.Continuously missing at work
c.Dishonesty or theft
d.Alcohol or drug abuse
3. Illness: If you’re sick for a long time or are continually missing office due to ill-health, then it’s normal for your employer to try to find out a possible alternative prior to your termination. For example, your employer may try to identify what is making you sick. In case it’s your job, no other solution would work except termination. Normally, every employer provides a permissible amount of time for recovery from illness. This time limit can depend on the following factors:
a.Your recovery time
b.Certainty of your recovery (for instance, if you have fractured bones, your employer can have an idea about the time it’ll take you to recover but if you’re suffering from mental trauma, then it becomes uncertain).
Copyright 2017 Devin Lloyd. Devin Lloyd is the President and CEO of BizResults Consulting. BizResults Consulting is a full-service human resources management consulting firm based out of Red Deer, Alberta. At BizResults Consulting we partner with you and your management team. We provide you with customized tools to lead your organization and people more effectively. We have a wealth of experience and a team of trusted Associates ready to work with your organization to improve your bottom line. Call us today at 587.877.7797 or visit us online at www.BizResults.ca to book your complimentary Building a High Performance Organization or Managing Absenteeism consultation. To sign up for our Biz E-newsletter, visit us at: http://bizresults.ca/biz-e-news/ . To complete a short survey on your human resources needs, please visit: https://goo.gl/forms/nGYeXvyPP62h1rKz1